Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Would you like some bread crumbs?"

Today was my first day volunteering at the hospital.  It was a little crazy at first, but ultimately AWESOME!  I got some training first, which took a whole, oh, 10 minutes, and then they kind-of just let me loose.  Well, not completely--there were 3 other people there.  (I'm at the main entrance information desk.)  The first few people that I "helped" were probably really sad that they walked up to me.  This was how most of those conversations went:

Visitor: I'm looking for this person.
Me: Oh, ok, let me look....uh, they're not here, let me look here (I think...)...um, [turning to my fellow front desk person] where should they be going?
Yeah, I was very helpful.  You learn a lot in 4 hours, though.  I even had someone say how helpful and knowledgeable I was somewhere around hour 3.5.  Ha!  Not bad for my first day!  (Yeah, I think I laughed when they said that.)  The best part, though?  The feeling you get when you leave and think that you've just helped people for 4 hours, and it wasn't even that hard.  How awesome is that?!

And now, I get to go see "Tangled" again with Kailei!  Hooray for Kailei/Jenny Tuesdays!


Oh, in case anyone actually read the title of this post and wants to know what it's about, it's from my first (and only, for today) flower delivery.  I had the room number, but wasn't exactly sure where I was going (it was in the first hour or so).  The guy working with me said "I think I have some bread crumbs, if you need them to find your way back."  Yeah, sure, pick on the newbie...

2 comments:

Kailei said...

hee hee. This story is just as good the 2nd time! And I am SO glad for Jenny/Kailei Tuesdays! Best. Movie. Ever.

Linda C. said...

I am so proud of you for doing this. I am so directionally impaired that I could never do your job. I look forward to great stories!!